Employers are responsible for maintaining a safe, productive work environment for all of their employees. Unfortunately, sexual harassment is still an all too common occurrence. Individuals who have experienced this type of harassment understandably feel a range of negative emotions, from humiliation and fear to anger and depression.
If you have been the victim of sexual harassment, it’s vital that you consult with a sexual harassment lawyer in Baltimore, MD. At Mallon LLC, we’ll review your legal options with you and stand up for your rights.
Typically, workplace sexual harassment falls into two categories: hostile work environment and quid pro quo. In a hostile work environment, individuals receive ongoing harassment that interferes with their ability to perform their job and disrupts their sense of wellbeing. Quid pro quo, or this for that, refers to instances where a supervisor or manager promises a subordinate a reward for agreeing to sexual behavior or threatens punishment for refusal.
Dealing with sexual harassment is difficult. But here are some suggestions on how to protect yourself:
- Find a supportive coworker and discuss the problem.
- Keep notes that detail each instance of harassment.
- File a complaint immediately with your manager or HR department.
- Be direct and express your discomfort with your harasser.
- Follow up and be persistent with your employer that they take action.
- If your employer does not act, call us at Mallon LLC.